History of The Faculty of Science & Technology
The Faculty of Science & Technology formerly known as the the College of Biological & Physical Sciences is a leading institution in teaching & research in science, technology and innovations. It was established as a college in 1983 and remains a leading training and research centre in science, technology and innovations. It is located at Chiromo Campus. The mandate of the The Faculty of Science & Technology emanates from that of the University of Nairobi. This includes training, research, income generation and consultancy in the areas of Biological and Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science and Informatics
The faculty offers a diverse range of academic programmes in several academic units namely; department of biology formerly School of Biological Sciences, department of computer science formerly School of Computing and Informatics, department of Mathematics formerly School of Mathematics, department of physics formerly of School of Physical Sciences, department of earth climate sciences formerly Institute of Climate Change and Adaptation (ICCA) and department of biochemistry formerly Centre for Biotechnology & Bioinformatics (CEBIB).
The student enrollment has increased from few hundred in 1983 to the current 6500 students
department of biology formerly School of Biological Sciences
2006 – Establishment of The department of biology through merger of the two of the oldest and well-known departments of this University - Botany and zoology
The department is structured into the following nine thematic areas each with a thematic head: Ethno-biology and Taxonomy; Biological Natural Products; Ecology and Environmental Sciences; Fresh Water and Marine; Genetics and Biotechnology; Insect Science; Microbiology; Physiology and Biochemistry, and Parasitology and Immunology.
department of computer science formerly School of cpmputing and informatics
1977 - Establishment of The department of computer science whose mandate included academic as well as university ICT services. The School is a regional leader in research, research and development (R&D) and advanced education in computing. It was the first to offer Bachelors and Postgraduate degrees in Computer Science in the region.
department of Mathematics formerly School of Mathematics
2005 - Establishment of the department of Mathematics This was done during the restructuring from the then Departments of Mathematics at The Faculty of Science & Technology formerly CBPS and Faculty of Education formerly CEES. The department takes pride as the current overall coordinating centre for EAUMP and the linkages with International Science Programme (ISP), International Mathematical Union (IMU), Mathematics Association of Kenya (MAK), among other organizations
Department of Geology
1956 – Establishment of the Department of Geology. It is one of the oldest in the School of Physical Sciences and was started in 1956 when the University of Nairobi was then the Royal Technical College of East Africa
Department of Meteorology
1963 – Establishment of the Department of Meteorology. Ever since its inception, the Department of Meteorology has continued to play a major role in training highly skilled meteorological personnel, most of whom are currently manning National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of most countries in Africa.
Department of Physics
1956 - Establishment of the Department of Physics and it is one of the oldest departments of the University of Nairobi. It was established in 1956 when the Royal Technical College of East Africa started offering an A-level course in Physics
Department of Chemistry
1961 - Establishment of The Department of Chemistry is located in Chiromo Campus, Off-Riverside Drive. It is part of School of Physical Sciences, College of Biological and Physical Sciences.
department of earth climate sciences formerly Institute for climate change and adaptation (ICCA)
2011 - department of earth climate sciences was approved by senate on 3rd Sec 2011. The department's academic programmes build climate change and adaptation capacity at the university for national, regional and international candidates who seek to enrich their studies using transdiscplinary approaches to learning and solving the modern challenges posed by climate change.
department of biochemistry formerlyThe Centre for Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (CEBIB)
2005 – Establishment of department of biochemistry as a virtual centre for Research and Postgraduate Training at MSc and PhD levels in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics to increase capacity and develop manpower for health; agriculture; industry, environmental management and related fields.